Recipe: Hearty Country Vegetable Soup
This Hearty Country Vegetable Soups recipe ticks all my boxes.
Vegetable soup is one of the most satisfying and comforting meals. This one is full of goodness, and the vegetables are left chunky, which is my favorite way to eat it.
And while this is a great recipe, don’t feel like you have to follow it exactly. Most of the time, I see what vegetables I have in the kitchen and make my own combination. And you don’t have to be a wizard at knife skills and make perfectly diced cubes. Just chop up your veg as you like it. It will still taste delicious.
Want to maximize the anti-cancer benefits of the kale (and cruciferous vegetables in general)?
*You will notice that the recipe calls for the kale to be well-chopped and left out for 10 minutes before stirring into the soup. This is important. It is because enzymes are destroyed in the cooking process, in this case the myrosinase enzyme. But, if you chop your cruciferous vegetables really well, and then wait about 10 minutes, you allow the myrosinase enzyme to do its job before cooking,
What does myrosinase enzyme do?
It allows a chemical reaction to happen that forms ITCs or isothiocyanates. ITCs have very powerful anti-cancer effects, like detoxifying and removing carcinogens, preventing tumors from growing, and even killing cancer cells! 
- 1 cup kale, well-chopped and left out for 10 minutes before putting into soup*
- 2 TBS water or no salt vegetable broth
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 carrots (no need to peel if organic), chopped
- 1 cup frozen or freeze-dried non-gmo corn
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups no salt vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 zucchini (courgette), chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 15 ounces of tomato sauce (no salt or sugar)
- 2 tsp your favorite no salt seasoning
- 1 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the 2 TBS of vegetable broth in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery. Cook and stir the onion and celery until onion is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure the garlic does not burn.
- Pour in the 4 cups of vegetable broth and tomato sauce. Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots and stir. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini (courgette) and mushroom. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, peas, and kale into the soup. Continue to simmer, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Serve into bowls and top with your favorite no salt seasonings and parsley.