Recipe: Lentil Stew for Steady Energy to Fuel Your Day
A Delicious and Hearty Lentil Stew
Lentil stew is packed with fiber, and also micronutrients from all the vegetables. Lentils are also becoming very well known for their anti-cancer benefits. 
And, lentils are AMAZING for gut health. Here is a quote from Dr. Gregor that he posted on Instagram:
“Lentils are so rich in prebiotics that they create a feast for your friendly flora, which in turn feed you right back with beneficial compounds such as propionate, that relax your stomach and slow the rate at which sugars are absorbed into your system.” Michael Greger M.D. FACLM
Plus, lentils keep us fuller for longer. They also contribute to the Second Meal Effect . The Second Meal Effect means that certain foods not only lower the glycemic index of the meal they are eaten with, but they also lower the glycemic index of the next meal! So, even if you don’t eat lentils at your next meal, the glycemic index will still be lower.
This is great news, because the lower the glycemic index of a meal, the more slowly food is digested. This affects our insulin levels and our health in very dramatically ways. When it comes to digestion, slower is better.
You can use a slow cooker for this or make it in soup pot in 30-40 minutes. Either way, keep this lentil stew simple. Enjoy it on its own or with a salad or gently steamed veg.
- 1 1/2 cups lentils of your choice
- 1/4 cup water or no salt vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini or courgette, diced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 14 ounces of diced tomatoes (if buying diced tomatoes, make sure they are in glass not a can)
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 6 cups no salt vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
When ready to serve:
- One handful of baby spinach leaves per bowl.
- Your favorite no salt seasoning to taste and black pepper.
- Put everything in a crock pot or Instant Pot (on slow cook “normal” setting).
- Cook for 7 hours.
- In a large sauce pan or soup pot, heat up the 1/4 cup of water (or no salt vegetable broth).
- Cook the onions until translucent and soft. Stirring.
- Add in the garlic. Stir and cook for 1 minute, making sure the garlic does not burn.
- Put in the celery and dried herbs (Italian seasoning, thyme, cumin, paprika). Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook for 30 – 40 minutes.
- When ready to serve: Remove bay leaf, sprinkle on your favorite no salt seasoning and black pepper. Stir in one handful of baby spinach leaves per bowl. They will gently wilt from the heat of the stew.