Recipe: Light and Satisfying Slow Cook Chili
Chili is one of those meals that works for just about everything- a hearty meal at home or healthy take out for lunch on the go. It’s something you can portion out and freeze, which makes it really convenient.
This no-fuss recipe is for the crock pot or slow cooker. It also works in the Instant Pot. So, you can just put all the ingredients into the pot and let it cook away slowly and safely.
I have added an optional dairy-free “sour cream” at the end of the recipe. It adds a wonderfully creamy contrast to the tomatoes and heat of the chili.
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (make sure they are non-gmo and preferably organic)
- 2 medium chili peppers (you choose if you want the sweet kind or spicy ones like jalapeños)
- 2 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 28 ounces or 800 ml of tomatoes, diced with juices. If you buy them, make sure they are in glass, not a can or tin.
- 1 cup no salt vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups cooked pinto or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 2 TBS fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
Put everything except coriander/cilantro into a crock pot or Instant Pot (use slow cook function). Cook for 7 hours.
When ready to serve, top with freshly chopped herbs and optional sour cream.
OPTIONAL Dairy-Free Sour Cream
Put all these ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth:
- 3/4 cup pre-soaked cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBS apple cider vineger
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
If you like cheese sauces, you might also like this dairy free cream sauce that you can customize to whatever meal you are eating: https://drgloriane.com/dairy-free-cheese-recipe/